Monday 10 March 2014

Yin Yoga : Something That I Would Like To Practise



Source

Namaste everyone!

Before I continue I would like to explain what Namaste means. Means 'the light in me salutes the light in you'. How philosophical is that? I love the meaning behind this simple word.

Ok lately I have been experiencing some pain in my joints particularly in my right shoulder. It is of course was self inflicted because I was trying to do the conventional push ups.... bad idea! So yes I injured myself ;( I mean .. what was I thinking??

Anyway a recent event that I was invited to introduced me to Yin Yoga which will help me to work my joints and deeper tissue that might be injured when I was doing outer/surface muscle in traditional workout. 

I was further enlightened by the fact that it is most beneficial for women to do Yin Yoga due to the many changes our body goes through by just being woman ; menstrual, menopausal, anxiety, work stress, child birth etc.

Half Moon Pose

So what is Yin Yoga?
After much reading, I have concluded that Yin Yoga is an approach to practise in exercising the Yin tissue ; meaning the bone/joints and connective tissue. The targeted tissue is relatively hidden, closer to the core. Some sources even refer it to being mysterious (because it is hidden) and receptive. 

All this hidden tissue needs to be exercised and it has to be done in the Yin way. Yin Yoga adapts known yoga poses and is performed to target specific connective tissue as well as nadis ( energetic pathways of the body ) that corresponds to the vital organs of your body. 

Therefore, Yin Yoga works not only on the physical level (which are your bones, tendons, ligaments and fascia) but also the on the body energy level by stimulating the energetic pathways of your body. 

The poses in Yin Yoga are held longer and is usually between three to five minutes and sometimes up to 20 mins. It is almost meditative. 

What are the benefits of practising Yin Yoga?
Yin Yoga is often used in programmes that deal with addictions, anxiety, trauma, eating disorder and the likes. It is about learning to sit still, to really come face to face with yourself because in that stillness your mind will wander to issues that you might be avoiding. 

Practising Yin Yoga help deal with life issues
Yin Yoga teaches you how to really listen to what is going on in your mind and to be more aware of your body as you hold your poses in that three to five mins of stillness. When you hold long poses it teaches you to learn to be present and accept what is in that given moment. 

For me it teaches me to be comfortable in my own company and deal with emotions that I might have pushed away when I am busy doing 101 things. Most of all, I learn to be still and be patient with myself. I learn that I don't need to be doing everything at one go. 

In a weird way ( and for the life of me I don't know how to explain this outcome ) I also learn to appreciate and be grateful of what I have,  to love myself and my loved ones more. I learn to be more accepting in many ways of myself and others. Because of that I am much happier with my life. 

So here is to a better acceptance of ourselves as women. 

Namaste


 

No comments:

Post a Comment